Monday, February 18, 2013

Asian Chicken Soup


So, I don't usually like broth-y soups. I LOVE creamy soups, but the only broth-based soups I've ever really been a fan of are gumbo and wonton. However, we're dieting around my house, and I had some boxed chicken broth in the fridge, along with loads of veggies that needed cooking, and then a lone chicken breast in the freezer. This is what I ended up with!


***Amounts will depend on your particular taste and the size of the batch you want to make

Chicken broth (low sodium! - homemade will always taste best, but work with what you have)
Water
Green bell pepper
Celery
Carrot
Onion
Green onion
Mushroom
Garlic
Boneless, skinless chicken
Whole wheat egg noodles
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Black pepper
White pepper
Cayenne pepper

*For quicker cooking, chop everything fairly small.
*You could use basically any veggie you want: great additions would be sweet peas, broccoli, snow peas, sugar snap beans, etc...
*For a stronger "Asian" flavor, ginger would be a great addition, if you have any. I have some in my kitchen, but completely forgot till I'd almost demolished my bowl.
*If you don't want (or have on hand) egg noodles, there are other good "Asian" noodles to use: rice vermicelli (that really thin, white-colored noodle), soba, or udon (not a fan, personally).


Chop the green bell pepper, celery, carrot, onion, and garlic into small pieces. Place in pot with low sodium chicken broth, water, soy sauce, sesame oil, and peppers. Bring to a boil. Add egg noodles; stir, and bring back to boil. Reduce heat to medium. When noodles are almost cooked, add in thinly sliced chicken, thinly sliced mushrooms, and thinly sliced green onion. Bring to boil. Serve. Garnish with fried garlic, green onion, parsley, etc.: whatever strikes your fancy.

No comments: